19/02/2012

The Woman In Black

Holy shit. That's all I've got to say :)


Description: "Working alone in an old mansion, Kipps begins to uncover the town's tragic and tortured secrets and his fears escalate when he discovers that local children have been dying under mysterious circumstances. When those closest to him become threatened by the vengeful woman in black, Kipps must find a way to break the cycle of terror."

It's Daniel Radcliffe's first major role since the end of the Harry Potter franchise and we all hoped that it would be a success. And it was.

The film - based on a book in 1983 - starts with three random girls who are playing with their dolls. Suddenly, they stand up and make their way over to the window and then jump out. Queue the screaming. Then after the titles, it starts with Arthur Kipps having flash-backs of his wife's death (child-birth) and then he talks to his son about going away on a business trip. 

I was waiting for the cinema to open and on the poster in the lobby it said underneath the name: this film contains intense supernatural threat and horror. I wouldn't call it supernatural threat as it's not supernatural however I do agree with the horror aspect.

The film is very jumpy - at some points I couldn't even look at the screen! The figures and faces; in particular the woman in black herself, gave me actual nightmares. You won't get them out of your head! I'm coulrophobic so it was even worse for me. 

A man who sat in front of me said to his wife at the beginning "this is gonna be lame" and, no lie, at the end he said "that was some scary shit!".

The only thing I didn't like was the ending. It pissed me off and ended too abruptly. But it worked.

Overall verdict: The Woman In Black is seriously wicked film and I'd definitely pay to see it again! It has been given great views by the critics which is another bonus. If you haven't seen it yet, I definitely would recommend it. I'm going to check out the book now.



-----

Hope you liked it. I'll talk to you soon; I'm going back to school tomorrow so blog posts will be less frequently (no-one follows my blog so it's ok).

Suzanna
XOXO

PS. Arsenal fans! The match yesterday was appalling but reading the Piers Morgan and Josh Francschi Twitter argument this morning was amusing.