17/02/2012

Let's talk about books...

I don't know about you, but I love to read. From horrors to dramas to autobiographies, I enjoy the lot (well, maybe not scripts or screenplays - I read Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw once and I got bored after the first few pages). I thank - and blame - my parents for making me into such an avid reader due to the masses of books they have. I started getting into books when I was 2 or 3 - the Hungry Caterpillar was a loved favourite of mine and it all started from then. 

Anyway, I enjoy reading when I have nothing else to do so I thought that I'd do a blog post on my fave books!

If you love horrors then, if you haven't, check out Stephen King. My absolute favourite - and possibly my favourite book of all time - is The Long Walk. This book was written when King was writing as Richard Bachman so the tone of the writing is different to most of his works. The plot is simple: 100 teenage boys go on a walk, the last one standing is the winning and is granted a prize of anything he wants. Obviously it's not that simple and if the boys go under the speed limit or stop walking they get a ticket. Three tickets are they are out. It's a great book and I'd definitely recommend it.

For drama books I'd recommend literally anything by Jodi Picoult. Whilst in Egypt I looked through the book section in the lobby and found Vanishing Acts. It was a thick, lengthy book which seemed boring and draggy and I was so wrong. I finished the book in two sittings and I still remember the story today. It's about a mother who finds out she was kidnapped as a child. It's hard to review the book without giving spoilers away so I'm going to leave it there. Read it!
I'd also recommend The Runaway by Martina Cole if you like reading as it'll probably take you a long time to finish.

Autobiographies are most interesting for me especially if they are written by a favourite comedian of mine. So these are comedy books as well. I've just finished reading two - Michael McIntyre and James Corden. Michael McIntyre is my favourite comedian of all time so when he released a book, I was over the moon! Spending nearly £20 didn't bother me when it came to his book and I still re-read it today. If you like his type of humour then this book is AMAZING. I find myself laughing out loud (LOL really does fit this book perfectly) and I once woke my parents up from giggling at night. On the other hand, I wasn't a big James Corden fan per say, I was more of a Smithy fan however I still gave it a go. I was pleasantly surprised, it did make me chuckle but not as much as Michael McIntyre's did. It depends on your humour really, but I'd definitely recommend these two books.

Books about TV Shows can be good too - my favourites are Skins: The Novel and The Hills: City of Angels as they are extra episodes of the shows. The Hills is one of my favourite reality shows whereas Skins is one of my favourite British Dramas. I will say that Skins (the book, mind you) is rated 18. I never knew books could be rated an 18 - but I can totally see why. It's very rude. I think they are better for older teenagers and young adults to be honest.

Action books are great too. The Hunger Games by Suzanna Collins is great and the sequels Catching Fire and Mocking Jay are just as good. I feel as though these books suit all ages as they contain elements of reading that suit everyone. There is elements of romance, action, drama and slight horror. The second one is my favourite as lots happened but together, they make a perfect series. I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore is a good book if you like action - I'd definitely recommend this if you have seen the film, or want to see the film. Books are better than films! A perfect example of this is the whole Harry Potter series. The books are just so much better and are written in so much detail compared to what we see in the cinemas. I've read every Harry Potter book and I freaking love them.

Ok, I've just realised that I have written a lot. So instead of rambling on, I'm going to do a list of my top book recommendations!

Drama:
- Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult
- The Runaway by Martina Cole
- 1984 by George Orwell

Horror:
- The Long Walk by Stephen King
- The Woman In Black by Susan Hill

Action:
- I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
- The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
- All of the Harry Potter books

Autobiographies:
- Live & Laughing by Michael McIntyre 
- May I Have Your Attention Please? by James Corden
- Bossypants by Tina Fey

War:
- Band of Brothers by Steven E. Ambrose
- War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
- When Hitler Stole a Pink Rabbit by Juidth Kerr
- The Pianist by Wladyslaw Szpilman (watch the film!)

TV Books:
- L.A Candy by Lauren Conrad
- Skins: The Novel by Ali Cronin
- The Hills: City of Angels by Andrew Perry


-----

I hoped you liked this! It was fun to write about something other than fashion or beauty. I'm thinking about do a film review on The Woman In Black as I saw it yesterday and I loved it. What do you think?

Suzanna
XOXO